Friday 21 September 2012

Autumnal Owls

I realise that this is my second post today but this will be my entry for this week's CAS-ual Fridays challenge.


It is, of course, the autumn equinox and starting to get colder and darker. But autumn is probably my favourite time of year, and not just because that's when my birthday falls! I love the colours and bonfire night: wrapping up warm and going out to watch all the fireworks.

My first owl card
This week's challenge, to be inspired by autumn clicked immediately with me. I have recently been going through an 'owl phase'. I love absolutely anything to do with owls at the moment: cushions, accessories, t-shirts and jumpers, I've even spotted a purse I want to get! So, I decided to make some owl inspired cards. 

I began this by creating my own style of owl and made several sketches in my design book. After that, I made myself a template and had a go at making my first owl card.









I made six of these owl cards in total, all of them different, with different colour combinations but all sticking with the autumnal reds, browns and oranges that I looking to see in the next few weeks. Using the same template was useful and made it so easy to get them fairly uniform, although cutting out 12 eyes, wings and feet got old very quickly!
I added the branches straight to the card blank, having cut them from the same paper I had used for the owls. Foam pads were used to perch the owls on the branches, to make them stand out. 
I don't normally make cards with as plain a background as these are but I think it really works well this time and if needed, there is enough room to add a sentiment without ruining it.


4 comments:

  1. I love owls too and I'm so impressed that you designed this one! Your cards in different colors are all so cute and creative! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I really cannot get enough of them. I plan on making plenty more in the near future so I will make sure to post them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Whooo's" been busy?!...couldn't resist!! Your cards are wonderful...love all the different color combos...definitely fall and a cool owl!! Thanks so much for bein a part of the challenge this week at CAS-ual Fridays and sharing your creativity:)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are these owl cards?!! Love them - each and every design is darling! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays - we're so glad you did!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. It's greatly appreciated and I hope you carry on reading =)